Last January I made a pledge to sew up my first ever vintage garment this year… And *fist pump in the air* I did it! Given my total lack of sewing skills and inability to follow directions, I opted for this Butterick #4731 because it said EASY in capitals on the pattern envelope. No really, it has nothing to do with the fact that the dress is so cute it hurt my eyes!
I made View B Dress and it wasn’t that difficult; apart from Step 3 which had me in a bit of a muddle. Don’t look at the bias binding on the arm holes, it’s uglier than a Bazilian Treehopper. There are also some, ahem, fitting issues but I’m hoping she’ll grow into it by Winter.
So, would I sew vintage again? Uh huh!! Vintage rocks my friends!! I hope the next time you see me, I’ll be wearing one of these…
Last year during #WoolWeek, I cast on 32 stitches on a size 6 needle and started a blanket for Henry. Well it’s progressed a bit…
When I say a ‘bit’ I mean 11.4 squares…
Now I’m no knitter, I taught myself to knit using a magazine. I didn’t have a plan for the blanket when I started it either, I just jumped straight in thinking…
Meh, who needs a pattern?
And started knitting squares using a garter stitch (the only stitch I know). But it seems I’ve made a hot mess of it… my squares are more like rectangles. Oops. And my knitting is slower than evolution. 11.4 squares in four months?! Say whaaat? Is that all you got Kellita? I told you, I’m no knitter…
Even now, I don’t have a real plan for Henry’s blanket. It needs to be at least double the size though and I’m seeing lots of fringe tassels around the edges. Abit like this one…
Only greener, with rectangles instead of squares. Squares are so, so… overrated. I’m hoping if I knuckle down and do a bit every evening it will be finished soon… I’ll keep you posted!
Look, I made Henry and Carmen PJ bottoms. And as I’m an unashamedly huge fan of all things matchy-matchy, they are indeed matching!
They wore these to bed on Christmas Eve. Yay for matchy-matchy Christmas awesomeness, which they can’t object to on account of being too small!
Planes, trains, restaurants…and toddlers! That’s the stuff nightmares are made of. Or at least it was until I made this simple little roll up chalk mat! It’s a chalk board on one side, ideal for drawing and scribbling, and a place mat on the other. Perfect for a busy toddler on the go. And the best part is that you don’t need to be a sewing genius to make it.
You will need:
- Chalk board fabric
- Backing fabric (I used a wipe clean fabric)
- Bias binding tape
- Adhesive glue spray (I used a carpet/vinyl spray adhesive from my local carpet retailer)
- Usual sewing supplies (thread, sewing machine, etc.)
How to do it:
- Cut out the chalkboard fabric to the desired size and use this as a template for the backing fabric
- Glue the wrong sides of chalk board fabric and backing fabric together
- Pin bias tape around all edges. Tuck under ends to conceal the raw edges and stitch through all thicknesses
Here’s a tip: Test your stitches on scraps of fabric before you begin, adjust the thread tension if necessary until the stitches
play nicely. This is a lesson I learnt the hard way.
- Sew a ribbon on the edge of the place mat
- Prime the chalk board fabric by rubbing chalk all over the surface and then erasing it
Give it to your toddler, and enjoy some peace and quiet, yay!
When you’re living life in shoestring alley (AKA maternity leave) buying an expensive bedding set for your child can feel a bit frivolous! So it was the extortionate cost of cotbed bedding that set me on my little duvet adventure. If you can sew in a straight line, you can make your toddler a duvet set, at least this is what I told myself! And if I can do it, so can you…
What you need:
Two pieces of cotton fabric measuring L58cm x W125cm
One metre of 30mm twill tape for the ties
The gingham fabric I loved wasn’t wide enough to reach these measurements, so I sewed a block colour piece along a raw edge of each piece of fabric with a 1/2 inch seam allowance, to get to the right measurement.
Place the right sides, the sides that are meant to be seen, of each piece of fabric together and pin. Sew along three of the sides with an approximate ¼ inch seam allowance, leaving one of the width sides open. Clip the corners and then zigzag stitch raw edges and trim.
Turn your duvet cover right side out and iron. Make a double hem across the opening by turning 1 inch to the wrong side twice and then pinning it in place.
Cut the twill tape into four pieces, to make four 25cm long ties.
Measure 50cm from each side and tuck a tie into the hem top and bottom, then pin into the hem to secure. Stitch along the entire hem, stitching through all thickness as you reach each tie.
Hem the ties.
And finally, top stitch 25cm in from either side across the bottom of the duvet cover through both layers. This will help to keep the duvet in its place.
So there it is, you’re very own cotbed duvet cover in six easy steps.