Planes, trains, restaurants…and toddlers! That’s the stuff nightmares are made of. Or at least it was until I made this simple little roll up chalk mat! It’s a chalk board on one side, ideal for drawing and scribbling, and a place mat on the other. Perfect for a busy toddler on the go. And the best part is that you don’t need to be a sewing genius to make it.
You will need:
- Chalk board fabric
- Backing fabric (I used a wipe clean fabric)
- Bias binding tape
- Adhesive glue spray (I used a carpet/vinyl spray adhesive from my local carpet retailer)
- Usual sewing supplies (thread, sewing machine, etc.)
How to do it:
- Cut out the chalkboard fabric to the desired size and use this as a template for the backing fabric
- Glue the wrong sides of chalk board fabric and backing fabric together
- Pin bias tape around all edges. Tuck under ends to conceal the raw edges and stitch through all thicknesses
Here’s a tip: Test your stitches on scraps of fabric before you begin, adjust the thread tension if necessary until the stitches
play nicely. This is a lesson I learnt the hard way.
- Sew a ribbon on the edge of the place mat
- Prime the chalk board fabric by rubbing chalk all over the surface and then erasing it
Give it to your toddler, and enjoy some peace and quiet, yay!